Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fish Finder vs Down Scan Imaging
Bigfishin Offline
Guppy

Fish Finder vs Down Scan Imaging
Hey guys! I'm about to purchase my first fish finder from Garmin. I have a crazy discount that I cant pass up. I wanted to get your take though on what ones should I consider. I've always been around the regular fish finders and find that a lot of the time its a hit or miss with them. Now a days, they have down scan imaging which allows you to actually see structure. The bad thing is with Down Scan Imaging (DSI), the fish are less visible. What do you guys prefer to use on the yaks and why? This has been on my mind for a while...

Thanks,
Adam
03-19-2014 04:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kayakfishinguy26 Offline

RE: Fish Finder vs Down Scan Imaging
i have a lowrance elite 4 HDI which i know dont help you out any, but it has the downscan and the regular fishfinder plus GPS. i can ovverlay the DSI over the regular screen or use it split screen so i can see both modes at the same time. i really like having the option to see it both ways at the same time. you see things you never new were on the bottom

Predator 13
Jackson Coosa

Hunter
03-19-2014 06:56 AM
Bigfishin Offline
Guppy

That sounds awesome! I'm begining to think that having both is the better way to go because they both bring very useful advantages. But I've seen some fishfinders that display structure as fish or vice versa. I'm still not sure which one to do. The discount is good but I still don't have 400 to 500 to spend on a fishfinder.
03-19-2014 10:23 AM
kayakfishinguy26 Offline

mine was only 300 and it works great so far

Predator 13
Jackson Coosa

Hunter
03-19-2014 05:53 PM
Bigfishin Offline
Guppy

That sounds awesome actually. Ill see what garmin has in the dual fishfinder/DSI. See what the cost is and rate it up against a lowrance. I may just avoid the discount and go with the Lowrance. Thanks for the info!!!

Hope to see you out on the water soon!!!
03-20-2014 05:04 AM
Crappiebob Offline

I respectfully disagree about not being able to see fish in dsi mode. I have several units and the difference between the 2d and dsi is incredible. I have seen screen shots that show bluegill in there beds, trees where you can see every branch plus the fish in the tree, 2d same tree, just looks like a colored blob(more or less)
I think you would do well to get the dsi model and practice with the settings, and learn what to look for because there really is alot to see down there.
03-20-2014 05:25 AM
kayakfishinguy26 Offline

yea the dsi is really awesome, you can see trees underwater and c every little limb they have on the plus the fish around them. if getting only one mode id go with the dsi to but having both is better in my opinion

Predator 13
Jackson Coosa

Hunter
03-20-2014 07:55 AM
Bigfishin Offline
Guppy

Thank you Crappiebob and Kayakfishinguy26. You guys really helped make my decision a no brainer. Im going to go with the DSI. It just seems like having the ability to distinguish between structure and fish is the best advantage to a fishfinder. I guess im going to have to get out on the water to play around with it before the tournaments start. April 26th can't get here soon enough...

Thanks guys,
Adam
03-20-2014 05:41 PM
kayakfishinguy26 Offline

you will be happy with dsi, and im happy to help

Predator 13
Jackson Coosa

Hunter
03-20-2014 07:24 PM
Peccavi18 Offline
Guppy

I keep seeing the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI listed as a favorite among kayak fisherman. I personally was just looking at the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI, can someone explain the difference between these 2 models? I am fish-finder dumb, so any pertinent info would be appreciated. Seems like the DSI can be had for $160 where the HDI is $300ish.
03-21-2014 02:14 AM