Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2013 Electronics
Rontbeamer Offline
Posting Freak

RE: 2013 Electronics
Ed if you look around this section of the website somewhere I posted a pretty neat way to mount the transducer off the rudder mounts on pretty much any kayak.

For sale: 2012 Malibu-X13 750.00, includes X-Wing, two flush mount rod holders, & Ocean Kayak seat. Boat has normal wear and tear scratches and is in good condition. Keeleazy keel guard installed.

Wexford Pa
Old Town Predator 13
Wilderness Systems-Tempest 170 Pro (Kevlar)
11-23-2013 12:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smallies_R_Us Offline
Administrator

(11-23-2013 12:07 AM)Phish Pharm Wrote:  I just finished installing a Humminbird 346 DI on my Coosa and opted to go through the scupper instead of shooting through the hull. I'm very happy I did. Picking up on subtle changes in water temp and better resolution were my primary reasons but I think it's also alot easier going through the scupper. Humminbird won't trade out the DI transducer for free like the other ones for scupper mounting so I just used 1 inch PVC pipe with a cap and cut it to fit the the transducer for mounting. It works great. If you don't want to drill an extra hole for the transducer cable you can just slide the cable under some Conseal. The old wire under the rug trick.

Hmm, can we see how you set it up?

Pittsburgh, PA -- JACKSON COOSA & JACKSON CUDA 12 Powered by Bending Branches Paddles
11-23-2013 09:11 AM
Phish Pharm Offline

Here are some pics of my install. I'm not the handiest guy in the world but I'm happy with how it turned out:

[Image: v8by.jpg]

Here's the PVC sticking out of the top of the scupper. I just capped it. The cap holds it in place & prevents it from moving down too far into the water. I painted it black to make it look pretty.

[Image: 8dg3.jpg]

[Image: 4he2.jpg]

You can see the cable under the conseal but it keeps it out of my way when I'm doing my drunken bear act while trying to stand up. Plus I didn't have to cut an extra hole. I did cut one where the imprint is for it below the middle RAM ball mount to run the battery cables to the head. I also ran the excess transducer cable through it. I coiled it and ran it back out to the head through the same hole. You can get the 3/4" cable mount from Hook1 to do this. Cut a 1 inch hole for it. YIKES!!!

[Image: h5op.jpg]

[Image: r4gu.jpg]

I used a dry box from Dick's for about $8 for the battery. Just drilled a hole to accommodate the cable and attached a little grommet from Ace Hardware. I used a 12 volt 7.5 amp battery I got from Batteries plus. 3 amp in line fuse from any hardware store. You can get the battery terminal ends from pretty much anywhere too. I attached pvc pipe to the box and gorilla glued pool noodle around it so it could snuggly slide into the foam insert inside the Coosa. The insert is about 3 inches wide so I just made the gap about 2 3/4 inches between pool noodles and it fits nice & snug. It's not going anywhere.

[Image: qotr.jpg]

[Image: 5gy9.jpg]

[Image: wb2u.jpg]

The final product!

[Image: e89j.jpg]

And it works too!

[Image: 7nbc.jpg]

John
Bethel Park, PA
Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda12
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 05:18 PM by Phish Pharm.)
11-23-2013 04:49 PM
MX07 Offline

Nice job on the transducer install John.

That Coosa is looking pretty sharp with the orange and black color scheme.

11-23-2013 05:17 PM
Phish Pharm Offline

Thanks!

John
Bethel Park, PA
Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda12
11-23-2013 05:20 PM
Smallies_R_Us Offline
Administrator

Nice work John, yak looks sweet.

Thanks for sharing

Pittsburgh, PA -- JACKSON COOSA & JACKSON CUDA 12 Powered by Bending Branches Paddles
11-23-2013 05:28 PM
Legend Offline

Real nice setup for the Coosa.

Greensburg, Pa

[Image: HOWSIG.png]
11-23-2013 05:33 PM